Paper Dress Project

In addition to crafting my face off at the store, I also sell vintage clothing. Once upon a time a really nice lady brought me every item of clothing from what I'm pretty sure was a magical attic. Unfortunately, two of the most gorgeous fifties prom dresses were pretty much destroyed beyond repair...so I covered them in paper and used them as window displays (thanks to Pinterest and Anthropologie for all of the inspiration!)




First I made these circles out of thrifted sheet music and I cut them halfway through.




Then I did this...





Then I did this... (and added some hot glue)




And I ended up with a bunch of these...





So then I made a bunch of these...



And some of these...



Then I did this...




And this... (The dress is actually fitted onto an old vintage bathroom shaving mirror - cheap and easy mannequin")




And added some giant bursts of color like this...

And ended up with these:




I painted the frames of the chalkboards lime green to go with the paper "flowers."  The chalkboards were $12.00 each, I think the chalk was around $2.00, the pack of colored cardstock was $20.00 (in addition to what I already had) and the hot glue was around $5.00.  It took me about a day and a half to do this and the total cost was around $50.00.  However, the response I get for my windows is priceless.  People love them! (And when these come down, all of the paper will be composted in our worm bin!)

I'm obsessed with with window displays - feel free to share your favorites with me!



2 comments:

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

The windows are AMAZING! I can't wait to make it to Peoria and see your shop in person..... hopefully soon!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS.